Friday, October 23, 2009



Three Opposites

These objects were inspired by the word ‘vessel’ - 1 a fishing vessel boat, ship, craft, watercraft; literary bark/barque. 2 pour the mixture into a heatproof vessel container, receptacle; basin, bowl, pan, pot; urn, tank, cask, barrel, drum, vat. The word vessel can mean many different things, yet for me I begin to think of organic forms, textures and shapes. I find that natural objects such as nuts seeds and pods are vessels from the earth, with a sense of poetry and beauty. They are able to tell a story from the earth with new life and continue the growth of nature.

The development of my ideas and designs began by looking at the work of Australian artist Marion Borgelt as her works illustrate her interests in art and nature, “ In my own work I seek to explore the power of design and symbolism through the use familiar, often ancient elements and shapes,” her recent work is sophisticated, her images simple and understated, alluding to the organic environment and primal instincts. It is these aspects of Borgelt’s work in which I wanted to incorporate into to my work. These vessels suggest a strangely organic form yet through the use of parrell lines and the formal imagery of the dome something completely unusual is created.




No comments:

Post a Comment